By Barbara Ficarra, RN, BSN, MPA
USA TODAY recently hosted Grand Rounds in the “Your Life” Section and featured the Best of the Medical Blogosphere. Some of the medical bloggers include: Howard Luks, MD, Jennifer Dyer, MD, Cynthia Bailey, MD, Fred Trotter, Barbara Ficarra, RN, BSN, MPA (honored), Will Meek, PhD, and others (please read below).
Some of the best medical bloggers have hosted Grand Rounds, from KevinMD, 33charts, Dr. John La Puma, Dr. John M’s blog, to SixUntilMe, Science Roll, and USA TODAY. (These are only a few of the many outstanding hosts.)
Grand Rounds debuted September 28, 2004, and it was first hosted by founder, Nick Genes, MD, PhD on his site, Blogborygmi. “Grand Rounds was modeled after other blog carnivals that were popular at the time, as a way to highlight independent writing and the creativity of the hosts bloggers,” wrote Dr. Genes in an email to me. As Grand Rounds grew, he joined forces with Dr. Val Jones and her Better Health network to help promote each edition and select hosts.
Grand Rounds is a weekly summary of the best health care writing online. It features stories, opinions and analysis from doctors, nurses, patients, researchers and administrators, as well as journalists. Each Tuesday, a different blogger takes the helm, publishing a new edition of Grand Rounds on their site. Each edition features the host’s picks for the ten best healthcare links of the week.
USA TODAY Features Medical Bloggers
Recently, Your Life in USA TODAY hosted Grand Rounds, and Val Jones, MD, contributed to “Healthy Perspective Health and Wellness in the News – Grand Round Begins” showcasing her favorite medical bloggers and posts. She organized the blogs into four categories: Health Tips, True Stories, Myth Busters & Controversies and Healthcare Costs.
Part 1 – The medical bloggers for the Health Tip category include:
- The Happy Hospitalis–10 Tips to survive your hospital stay
- Howard Luks, MD–How to avoid medical errors
- Kim McAllister–Four tips to make your ER visit run more smoothly
- Linda Burke-Galloway, MD–Five questions every pregnant woman should ask
- “This nurse” Barbara Ficarra–Tips to help you keep your heart healthy year round
- Mellanie True Hills–Dehydration may contribute to atrial-fibrillation
- Cynthia Bailey, MD –Tips for caring for dry skin
- Fred Trotter–How to connect with other patients online
- Jennifer Dyer, MD –Pinterest can help plan healthy meals
- Paul S. Auerbach, MD, Healthline –What to do if your dog gets bitten by a snake
- Centers for Disease Control –International travel during pregnancy
- Will Meek, PhD –Mindfulness techniques
- Jenni Prokopy –Tips on winter weight loss
- Barbara Kivowitz –Trusted friends can help with the worry during illness
Part 3, Myth Busters and controversies
Grand Rounds hosting calendar and submission guidelines
Tuesday, February 21
Grand Rounds Vol. 8 No. 21 at Healthworkscollective (HWC)
Tuesday, February 28
Grand Rounds Vol. 8 No. 23 at Life with Huntington’s
Tuesday, March 6
Grand Rounds Vol. 8 No. 25 at Doctor Rob’s
Tuesday, March 13
Grand Rounds Vol. 8 No. 25 at Health in 30
Submit your blog for Grand Rounds. Healthin30 is hosting Tuesday, March 13, 2012.
Grand Rounds Submission Guidelines
Submitting your blog post to Grand Rounds is as easy as 1-2-3.
- Go to the Grand Rounds calendar and locate the host blog for the upcoming edition.
- Click on the host’s link and read their instructions for submitting your post. Their instructions are usually listed in a recent blog post.
- Email the host prior to their deadline (usually Sunday night before the Tuesday Grand Rounds). Include the URL of your blog post, your blog name, and your blog’s URL in your email. Put “Grand Rounds Submission” in the title of your email.
We would love to hear from you. What are your favorite health blogs? Who are your favorite medical bloggers?
As always, thank you for your valuable time.
Connect with me | Stay in touch
Follow Barbara on Twitter
Visit Barbara on Facebook
Connect with Barbara on Linkedin
Thanks to Dr. Val Jones, Dr. Nick Genes, USA TODAY and all the wonderful medical bloggers.
Leave a reply →
Grand Rounds is heaven sent! So is KevinMD! I’ve still been scouring the net for other health bloggers and I’m glad to stumbled upon some great sources. Thanks