By Barbara Ficarra, RN, BSN, MPA
TEDMED Great Challenge – Medical Communication
TEDMED Great Challenge continues. Join us today for the live Google Plus event.
Tune in today February 14, 2013 at 3:30 p.m. EST at TEDMED.com and ask your questions. We’ll answer them during the live discussion.
The Medical Communication Challenge Team includes:
- Robert Arnold, MD – Director, Institute for Doctor-Patient Communication, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- John Cox – Co-Founder, President and Chief Executive Officer, Visible Health, Inc.
- Barbara Ficarra, RN, BSN, MPA – Founder, Health in 30™ (Healthin30.com)
- Steven Kussin, MD – Founder of The Shared Decision Center in Utica, NY and the Author of Doctor Your Patient Will See You Now
- Joseph Kvedar, MD – Founder and Director, Center for Connected Health, Partners HealthCare
- Selma Caal, MD – Research Scientist, Child Trends Lead Author
(Your may learn more about the team here at TEDMED.)
Physicians are not typically trained in interpersonal communications and are not rewarded based on their communication skills.
Equally important, patients are often intimidated when talking to doctors and often feel they don’t have a receptive audience, especially when doctors are rushed. What can be done about this on both sides of the challenge (patients and doctors) — including possible initiatives in areas ranging from education to technology, to possible changes in the physical workspace?
How do we make this issue a priority?
That will be topic we’ll tackle with TEDMED during a Great Challenges live event on Thursday at 3:30pmEST. Tune in to TEDMED.com to ask questions, watch us discuss this issue, and give us your thoughts.
Connect with me | Stay in touch
- Follow Barbara on Twitter
- Visit Barbara Ficarra on Facebook
- Like Healthin30
- Connect with Barbara on Linkedin
- Become a Fan and Like Barbara Ficarra on The Huffington Post