Twitter Heart Chat: Sharecare and American Heart AssociationThursday, February 20, 2014 10:59
By Barbara Ficarra, RN, BSN, MPA
Twitter Chats are a powerful way to share valuable information in real-time. Sharecare and the American Heart Association partner to host a Twitter Chat on Heart Health.
Please join the Twitter Chat today, February 20, 2014 from 12 p.m. – 3 p.m. EST, and use the Hashtag #HeartChat.
In support of the 50th anniversary of American Heart Month, the American Heart Association (AHA) and Sharecare, the online health and wellness engagement platform founded by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Jeff Arnold, together are proud to host a Twitter chat to answer users’ questions about heart health. As the number one and number four respective causes of death in the U.S., heart disease and stroke claim more lives than all forms of cancer combined.
“On average, every 40 seconds, an American dies of cardiovascular disease or has a stroke making them the leading causes of death and disability in the United States,” said Dr. Mariell Jessup, president of the American Heart Association. “Educating people about how they can reduce their risk is literally a matter of life and death, and our #HeartChat with Sharecare has the potential to help millions of people get the information they need to fight heart disease and stroke.”
Scheduled for Thursday, February 20, from 12 pm to 3 pm EST, the Twitter chat will focus on living with heart disease and stroke; learning how to live healthy and reduce your risks; and the new heart disease and stroke prevention guidelines released last November. During #HeartChat, Dr. Jessup, also Medical Director of the Heart and Vascular Center at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, will be joined by the following experts from the AHA and the American Stroke Association (ASA) to answer users’ questions:
- Dr. Clyde Yancy, AHA past president and Magerstadt Professor of Medicine and Chief of the Division of Cardiology at Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine
- Dr. Rachel Johnson, AHA Nutrition Committee chair and Robert L. Bickford, Jr. Green and Gold Professor of Nutrition and Professor of Medicine at the University of Vermont
- Dr. Demetrius Lopes, national ASA spokesperson and Director of Neuroendovascular Surgery at Rush Hospital, Chicago
- Dr. Mary Ann Bauman, national AHA spokesperson and Medical Director for Women’s Health Community Relations at INTEGRIS Health, Inc., Oklahoma City
Cardiologists from select Sharecare hospital partners also will take part in Thursday’s chat, including AHA past president Dr. Gordon Tomaselli from Johns Hopkins Medicine; Dr. Tamara Horwich from UCLA Health; and Dr. Michael Emery from Greenville Health System.
Additionally, members of Sharecare’s Advisory Board will lend their expertise during the three-hour #HeartChat, including:
- Dr. Randy P. Martin, Chief of the Structural and Valvular Center of Excellence at the Piedmont Heart Institute in Atlanta, and Physician Principal Advisor of Educational Programs at the Marcus Heart Valve Center: @DrRandyMartin1
- Barbara Ficarra, RN, health educator and founder of Healthin30.com: @barbaraficarra
- Patricia Geraghty, RN, nurse practitioner and Adjunct Clinical Faculty at Holy Names University in Oakland, Calif.: @PattyGeraghty
- Dr. Robin Miller, medical director at Triune Integrative Medicine in Medford, Ore.: @RMillerMD
As a registered nurse, health educator and Advisory Board Member at Sharecare, I’m delighted to participate in this #HeartChat. I hope you’ll be able to join us.
Dr. Mehmet Oz will also be joining the #HeartChat Twitter event.
[Source: News Release Sharecare-Atlanta, February 18, 2014]